I’m a Valentine’s baby. I still haven’t gotten over the fact that I have to share my day with the rest of the world. Every restaurant has to be booked so far in advance that it’s annoying. If I am able to get in somewhere, it comes with an overpriced pre-fixed menu that makes the dinner seem less special anyway. Even growing up, I wasn’t so keen on this date. Every year I’d get a variation of what I got the year before — pink heart-shaped bracelets, T-shirts with sparkly hearts and any other pink/red/heart-themed trinket you can imagine. I’ve also realized that having a Valentine birthday is something that sticks in a person’s head. I’ve bumped into people from elementary school, and they still know when it’s my b-day. Of course, this only make me feel like an a-hole because I don’t remember theirs. So you shouldn’t be surprised that this year I’ve decided not to slap a bunch of V-day gift ideas on the page. Regardless of it being the holiday or not, I thought this manicure, created by one of my absolute favorite nail pros Jin Soon Choi, was cool and cute. P.S. If you’re not familiar with her line of nail lacquers, check them out. She has a sick eye for color.
How To Create This Heart Manicure (note: you can try it on your own but it’s easier to do with a friend)
1. File and shape your nails in a natural square or roundish shape.
2. Apply a base coat.
3. Apply a pink shade on the entire nail bed (here, Jin Soon gives you a sneak peek of Dolly Pink from her SS14 collection).
4. Apply JINsoon Coral Peony on one side of the nail, covering about 3/4’s of the nail bed and ending in a subtle curve to create half of the heart shape. Then repeat on the other side, taking special care to intersect the two sides at the center of the nail.
5. Apply JINsoon Coquette on one side of the nail covering about half of the nail bed and ending in the same subtle curve as you did when applying the Coral Peony. Repeat on the other side, again taking special care to intersect the two sides at the center of the nail.
6. Finish with a high-shine top coat.
Comments are closed.