Wearing makeup to look like you’re not wearing any seems like it’d be easy to do. But, doing your makeup to look like you just woke up as a natural beauty is actually very tricky. The nude face was one of the biggest beauty trends this season, so we spoke to Chicago-based makeup artist Shannon O’Brien, whose a favorite of brides and celebs such as Sophia Bush, to find out her best tips and products for achieving this no makeup makeup look.
- You want your skin to look like skin so instead of a thick foundation, choose one you’d wear on a regular Wednesday. Shannon is loyal to Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer because it provides coverage but keeps your skin looking hydrated. For an evening affair, mix Mac Studio Fix Fluid, a matte, buildable foundation with medium coverage with Mac Strobe Cream. P.S. E! News host Catt Sadler recently told me this was one of her favorite products. Click here to watch the interview. And of course you can’t skip concealer. Shannon’s picks are YSL Touche Eclat for undereye circles and a dot of Mac select coverup to hide a zit.
- You don’t need a million products for your eyes and cheeks. In fact, Shannon relies on one — The Nars Domination Palette. It has a light shimmer shade, which is actually a highlighter, that looks beautiful when swept across the lids. The bronzer works wonderfully as an eye shadow and should be applied to your creases to add depth. Of course the bronzer should also be used as a traditional bronzer and applied to cheekbones. And then you can choose either blush from the palette and apply to the apples of your cheeks.
- It’s OK to play favorites. Shannon does. She relies on cream highlighters for the no makeup makeup look because you can use them on your lids, lips, and cheeks. Shannon’s go-to is Hush by MAC.
- Since your face is almost bare, the eyelashes should stand out! A fun tip from Shannon is to wear falsies backwards (she did this on her own wedding day): apply the long end of the false lash to the the inner corner of the eye so the shorter end rest on the outer. Instead of a more traditional butterfly effect, your lashes will create a doe eyed effect a la Twiggy. P.S. You could clip off the last longest lash to ensure your lashes blend in with your natural ones. Shannon’s holy grail lashes are MAC #7, which are a bit spikey to really play up this look.
- There are many directions you can go with a nude lip. A good place to start is YSL Candy Sheers. Or for a more affordable buy try Maybelline Color Whisper Lipsticks.
How do you feel about this new "no makeup" makeup trend? Let us know in the comments below!